STELIP’s community research indicated that often newcomers, immigrants and service providers do not know the full extent of what is available within the community.
To address this identified gap, the coordination of services priority focuses on the following strategies:
- Provide information about services for newcomers to employers and service providers
- Support the provision of opportunities for server providers to network
The main outcome of this priority is the annual Walk With Me event: a networking event for service providers and newcomers. In the last four years over 40 local service providers have gathered to gain a better understanding of what is provided in the community.
In the past, our Key note speakers included:
- Dr. Leeno Karumenchary, Diversity Solutions Inc. – Diversity, Inclusion, and Equity in the Provision of Services
- Martine Duviella, Citizenship and Immigration Canada – Multicultural Awareness
- Avril Currie – Saunders, OISE PhD Candidate -Collaboration: Learning together in a community of service for Inclusion
- Michele Manocchi, Seeds of Change, CAMH: Changing Perspectives: How to Approach Migrants Health Issues
- Janet McAllister, CAMH – Health Equity in Systems Improvement: Key Concepts and Strategies for Change
- Dharshi Lacey, Pillar Nonprofit Network – Unconscious Bias
Other initiatives to address the Coordination of Services Priority include:
- Yearly delegations to Municipal Councils
- Membership and participation as Elgin County Ambassadors